Pages

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Happy 90th birthday Ronald!

The celebrations for Mr Searle's 90th birthday are in full swing from today & Searle fans in this country haven't had so much on offer in 50 years!  Last night I previewed the exhibitions at the cartoon Museum and at Chris Beetles' gallery-both shows are packed with stunning examples of Searle's work.

At the Cartoon Museum opening I finally met writer & Searle fan Brian Sibley.  We've corresponded through Blogger for several years so it was a pleasure to meet in person.  Brian has a fine original Searle included in the Beetles show.  He'll be doing a lecture on Searle's work at the Cartoon Museum as part of a series of talks that I shall be part of too (details to follow soon).  Brian has posted a great overview of Searle's career on his blog.

Inky Parrot Press have published a limited run of 2 new books on Searle at 90-'What! Already?' and 'Watteau More Scaps'.





Blogroll:

Drawn on Searle.
Richard Thompson

Mike Leigh on Searle's influence.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

happy birthdy Mr.Searle. I like your cartoon drawing technique .
also I think a great tnx belongs to Matt due to its contineuos hard blogging. thank you Matt!!

Brian Sibley said...

I must echo both those sentiments: 90th Birthday greetings to Mr Searle and HUGE thanks to Matt for his tireless work in creating this superb blog-archive devoted to the works of such a great artist and illustrator. I'm greatly looking forward to your talk at the Cartoon Museum, Matt.

Elliot said...

A very happy birthday to Mr. Searle, and (again) huge thanks to you Matt, for compiling this blog so brilliantly.

Hope to come along to your presentation at the cartoon gallery on the 31st.

Drazen said...

WOW!

edhead said...

Happy Birthday Ronald!!!!!!!!!!!
And thanks for all the amazing inspirational drawings!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Mr Searle,


You are and have been a huge influence on my path to pursue my love for animation and cartooning - and your work helped to inspire my work on my final graduation film.

Have a great day and hope the sun shines forever brightly on you at your work desk every day:)

Brian Sibley said...

Hi, Matt, tried to leave a comment on your posting of the C4 interview with Ronald Searle, but blogger wouldn't let me...

Anyway, thanks for posting it: a lovely rare chance for all of us to have an audience with the Master! Excellent!

Matt Jones said...

Ah-just moved it back a few posts to the 'Searle on the telly' post.

Brian Sibley said...

So you have! Keeping us all (and blogger!) on our toes! Anyway, thanks again and great to have had the chance of a longer chat with you at The Hatless Man exhibit on Wednesday.

Glad you've got a chance to work at Pixar, but sorry you're flying off to LA just as we've met and I've thought of a zillion things I'd like to pick your brain over about Searle.

Sorry, that sounds rather unpleasant - picking over your brain - but you know what I mean. Anyway here's to the 30th and your talk at the Cartoon Museum.

Llyn Hunter said...

A wonderful happy birthday! I have been influenced by Roland Searle's drawings since I was four. I couldn't read the book, but my mother had a copy of "The Terror of St. Trinian's" and I would leaf through it over and over again because I loved the marvelous drawings so much. I still have that book, and can thank Mr. Searle for being the pen and ink fiend I am.

Brian Sibley said...

Great to springboard from here to Llyn's blog and website! Great art, Llyn! Oh, but I do love blogger!

Anyway, I have just been re-reading The Terror of St Trinian's after many, many years and was astonished to discover that the headmistress is Desiree Umbrage! It must have been her daughter, Dolores, who went on to work for the Ministry of Magic and become Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts....

Matt Jones said...

Yes, I think Ms Rowling owes a huge debt to St Trins and Molesworth.